I cooked, I ate and I conquered – Rolled flank steak that is. I have been cooking flank steak for the last 5 years or so. My wife introduced me to it as a substitute for huge fatty steaks (between me and you there is no replacement). However, she is right in the fact that if you are wanting to eat healthy by cutting out as much fat as you can, then this is the way to go so that you can still feel like man (insert grunts here) and grill up a nice big ass steak. Today we aren’t making a steak but using the flank cut it to blow people away.
This is a pretty involved way to make a meal, but it is all worth it in the end. It looks great, tastes great and is healthy for you and whomever else you are preparing it for. Plus visually it will blow the mind of your friends and quests.
So first things first is that you need to purchase yourself about a 1 – 1.5lbs flank steak. I purchase mine at Costco for the fact that they are cheaper than pretty much anywhere else and plus you get two in one pack. Huge savings!! Remove from package and pat dry with paper towel. You then want to get your sharpest knife out and split er open like a book. To do this follow these steps.
1) Place the meat on the cutting board and square it off. This will make it much easier to roll up as well, save the cut offs for breaky or jerky,,lol. Mmmmmm steak and eggs. lol.
2) Place on cutting board with the grain of the meat going left to right, east to west, opposite of the way you are standing. Got it….good.
3) Take your knife and start slicing it in half through the middle of the meat going against the direction of the grain as in pic one on the right and continue cutting through until you are about a half inch away from the end. You can click on the pics to enlarge if you like to see more detail. (do this).
4) Now you can start adding your seasonings to the inside of the steak. I used garlic powder, all spice, basil and some salt and pepper. I spread it all over the exposed meat.
5) Start adding your stuffing. I made some roasted red peppers which I roasted placed in an ice bath and then peeled. I diced them up and spread all over. Repeat this process with the spinach and mushrooms.
6) Now you need to roll this big boy up. Roll it in the direction of the grain and roll it tightly. Once she’s all rolled up you can tie this cannon with some cooking string / kitchen string. Tie it about every 1.5 – 2 inches or so.
7) Pre heat a pan and oil to a medium high heat and sear the meat for about 20 – 30 seconds on each side all around the meat. You just need a light sear otherwise you will make the meat tough after roasting.
8.) Pre-heat oven to 350F.
9) place the roll on a foil lined backing sheet, season with salt and pepper and a bit of olive oil and place in the oven for 45 minutes or until the internal temperature is 140F.
10) When done, you can remove it from the oven and place on a plate to rest for about 5-10 minutes. this lets the juices in the meat redistribute back all through the meat. Otherwise, if you cut it early you will lose all those juices that make this meat nice and tasty tender.
11) Now that this pup is ready you can start slicing er down. Remove the string and cut into 1 inch thick slices. Damn!! look at those beauts. If your not happy looking at this then I don’t think you’ve got a heart.
I made sweet potatoe cakes to go with these flank steak pin wheels and they were delish. I made them from some left over mashed sweet potatoes from the previous night. Added some egg and flour to the mash and formed into little pancake type things. Fry them in a medium high heat pan for a couple minutes a side, sing butter to fry them will add flavour but if your on a health kick then just use a little dab of EVOO.
Booooooom hot damn, This is one of the most hands on dishes that I have done. I had to roast and peel the pepper which added some smokey flavor to it. the cutting, dicing, rolling, tying, ice baths,,,Phew thank god this is done. Time to chow down and enjoy all my hard work.
In a later post I will go through the roasted pepper steps with pics. If you dont want to wait, just send me a message through my facebook page which goes by the same name as this website and or a message through the contact link will work just as good.
Take care and keep the fire hot.